Thursday, February 23, 2006

Creepy Spider!

I'm just starting to work on a comic / graphic novel project. I've done short comics before (1 to 8 pages) but never anything larger. I'm hoping this will help me cut my teeth on writing and composing something longer, say, in the neighborhood of 60 to 100 pages.

The setting is going to be a adventure story with bugs. I've shared the story outline with some friends but I've barely started writing the script. Meanwhile I've begun putting together the characters. Here's a page from my sketchbook with a villanous spider from the story:

the spider villain!
I started out with the more spider-faced sketches and moved towards the anthropomorphized ones. The spider (and all of the characters) have a way to go, but things are off to a fun start. I need to get some solid reference before I get too far into things. I did a few more pages of characters before the caffeine in my tea jittered my arm up something fierce... I'll save those for later perhaps.

You may notice a blurred seam along the center vertical of my scans. My sketchbook is too large for my scanner so I have to piece full pagers together in photoshop. A tabloid scanner would be darn fancy, but I'm getting along for now with my letter size..

No comments: