Monday, October 19, 2009

Dune book club: The Gom Jabbar

I'm taking part in Dustin Harbin's Dune Book Club. I've read Dune before and enjoyed it immensely, so I was totally down for reading it again. I like book clubs too (or the idea of them at least) and also the idea of an internet book club.

Dustin asked us to read the first 40ish pages for today. I thought the meeting between Paul Atreides and the Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam (what an intense name!) and Paul's test by the Gom Jabbar was awesome, so I drew a bit of that as a tiny comic for this week.

I'm also reading Joseph Campbell's Hero With A Thousand Faces, so while that's still fresh in my mind I've been picking up bits of classic myth structure in Dune that Frank Herbert may have left behind. I'm looking forward to discussing those bits!

No comments: